A New Name-OALMA Becomes The American Orthotics And Prosthetics Association
Members of the Orthopedic Appliance and Limb Manufacturers Association at the annual meeting in Dallas, October 21, 1959, unanimously approved a change of name to "The American Orthotics and Prosthetics Association." The change in name becomes effective as of January 1, 1960.
This was the result of a movement and gradual change in the nature and aspirations of members. Increasingly through recent years, the professional and humanitarian aspects of the prosthetist and orthotist's work have been emphasized. The care of the patient, the exact fitting and alignment of appliances have grown in importance. At the same time, the difficult problems in manufacture and selection of materials have been solved satisfactorily. All this led to the realization that the old name did not fully and accurately reflect the purposes and programs of the group.
This is the third change of name. The Association was first organized in 1917 as the "Artificial Limb Manufacturers Association (ALMA)." In 1946 at the National Assembly in Minneapolis ALMA became OALMA- the Orthopedic Appliance and Limb Manufacturers Association.